They work to create a safe working environment for employees and also work to prevent any potential injuries or illnesses. To become an environmental health and safety officer, you will need a degree in occupational health and safety or a related field. You will also need to have at least five years of experience in health and safety.
Tips to become an environmental health and safety officer:
1. Gain experience in the field through internships, jobs, or other volunteer opportunities
2. Study Occupational Health & Safety by taking classes at a local college; obtain certification through the Canadian Environmental Health Association (CEHA)
3. If you want to work internationally, apply for a job as an inspector with the World Health Organization (WHO)
4. Keep your knowledge up-to-date by attending seminars, conferences and taking continuing education courses
5. Obtain a post-graduate degree in environmental health and safety to boost your career
6. Work for government agencies such as local councils or even state governments.
7. Work for the Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety (CCOHS) work with the government and employers to keep employees safe while at work.
8. Work as a safety consultant, assess safety procedures and regulations at different companies around the world
9. Become an inspector of environmental health in your local area if you want to help increase safe practices for employees.
10. Work with the U.S. Department of Labor as occupational safety and health inspector
11. You can also work with the Canadian Center for Occupational Health and Safety (CCOHS) which focuses on industry standards, programs, and policies that aim to maintain a healthy working environment around the world.
12. Join professional organizations such as the American Industrial Hygiene Association (AIHA), the International Commission on Occupational Health, the Society of Toxicology, and the other partners in occupational health to stay updated with your field.
13. Once you have enough experience, start a business that specializes in environmental health and safety
14. Publish articles to increase your influence in the industry.
15. If you are self-employed, get liability insurance
16. Take online courses with sites like Udemy
17. Get hired by the WHO or work for local councils.
18. Apply for jobs with employers such as Canada Post, Telus Corp., Toronto Hydro Corporation, and other employers that are focused on improving safety for employees.
19. Apply for jobs with the FDA
20. Or, apply for jobs with consulting companies focused on health and safety such as UL Environment.
There are many pros to becoming an environmental health and safety officer:
One of the main pros is that you can help create a safe working environment for employees. You can also prevent potential injuries or illnesses, which can save companies money in the long run. Additionally, you may be able to work internationally if you wish and keep your knowledge up-to-date by attending seminars, conferences and taking continuing education courses.
There are some cons to becoming an environmental health and safety officer as well. One con is that you may have to spend a lot of time away from home, traveling to different companies to assess their safety procedures.